I have made really great progress with regard to my recovery. When at home my symptoms are somewhat minimised with the biggest issues still being fatigue and headaches.
The symptoms are tripped when I am out of the house. I still can't go into a store without instantly experiencing nausea, dizziness, sensitivity to light, sensitivity to sound and being unbalanced when I walk.
Cognitively, I am able to articulate my thoughts without forgetting what I am saying and my thinking is a lot clearer but I still find it difficult to concentrate and my short term memory is still impaired. I can read using my phone or IPad but find screens bigger than those a problem and still find it difficult to read magazines, books, recipe books, instructions and newspapers.
My lack of concentration means I only hear half a story and the short term memory means I forget what I have been told and ask for the same information over and over or repeat myself. It must be so annoying for other people!
I thought I had adapted to reading information by locating key words in the text, which is such a teacher-y thing to say. However, this strategy is not fool proof,
my online shopping deliveries are a testimony to this:
- Tea towels that arrived dishcloth size.
- Jumbo marshmallows which were a jumbo bag, not the giant ones I wanted.
- An oversized mixing bowl which is a giant sized bowl, so big it doesn't fit in a cupboard.
- Random food items in the grocery order that I didn't mean to order.
|Oversized bowl and undersized tea towel|
The treatment I am still having is:
- Occupational Therapy - involves walks, shopping, cafes in order to overcome sensory issues.
- Neuro Physiotherapy - involves walks, ocular-motor exercises, pilates, water resistance exercises in order to overcome visual/brain issues and balance.
- Psychologist - a weekly session to deal with the emotional impact of Post Concussion Syndrome.
- Acupuncture - to manage fatigue, nausea, and headaches.
The medication I still take is:
- Codeine - headaches
- Ondansetron - nausea
- Melatonin - sleep/headaches
- Amitriptyline - sleep/headaches
- Escitalopram - emotional - this is not new medication
- Neurofen - headaches
I am really hoping I can start back at school part-time before this term ends. I also want to drive my car, read a book, drink wine, visit my parents in Rawene, my brother in Cairns and my bestie, Mary Thistle on her farm in the Waikato.
I'm grateful for being able to complete a painting (almost).
|Frida Kahlo inspired painting|
Thanks for reading,